Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Mission: almost impossible


Yesterday I ventured out on a mission. A mission to find energy foods that I can eat with my new dietary restrictions. Unfortunately almost all of the energy gels that I am familiar with use maltodextrin as their main proprietary carb blend. That will not work for me as malt is one of the “big three” sensitivities for me (malt, barley, gluten). 

BUT with the help of the associate at Performance Bicycle, I found one. One brand, one flavor that does not have maltodextrin: Honey Stinger Gold. That’s it. Even the other Honey Stinger flavors have it, but Gold does not. Hopefully I can stomach it and I will be able to use that for races.

I also slipped up though. I was so focused on finding (or hopefully not finding) maltodextrin on the label of the energy products that I totally missed that WHEAT FLOUR was the first ingredient on one item I bought and ate today after my workout. IDIOT. I feel kind of stupid. 

Oh well, I’ll survive. Happy Mardi Gras. Tonight’s dinner will be red beans and rice with andouille sausage (from Trader Joes).

No comments:

Post a Comment