Sunday, December 2, 2012

Staycation is over



I had all week off last week…you’d think that would mean I would have time to blog more often. You’d be wrong. 

I did spend some extra time in the kitchen, but I also got Christmas shopping done, got caught up on laundry and dishes, and spent a lot of time at the gym. 

The one new meal I’m proud of that will make another appearance in the future is my Thai chicken & rice soup. I made it in the crockpot on Wednesday and even my picky eater was happy to eat it. 

Thai Chicken & Rice Soup
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into 1-inch cubes
2 cups chicken broth
1 sweet red bell pepper, diced
½ onion, diced
1 tsp minced garlic
1 can coconut milk
1-2 Tbsp thai red curry paste
1 cup white rice
1 ½ cups water
¼ cup chopped cilantro
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1 bunch broccoli

Place chicken, broth, bell pepper, onion and garlic in crockpot. 
Cover and cook on high for about 2 hours (if chicken is frozen, add another hour). 
Add coconut milk and red curry paste and stir well. Add 1 Tbsp initially. 
Cover and cook another hour. 
Cut broccoli florets into pieces that are the size you want for soup. 
Add broccoli, cilantro and mushrooms into crockpot. Replace cover. Cook for about 30 minutes. 
While the broccoli cooks, steam the rice in water using your favorite rice steaming method. I have a NordicWare microwave steamer I like. 
When rice is ready, stir into crockpot. 
Taste soup. Add salt or more red curry paste if you would like. 
Serve hot. 
 
Yields about 6 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment