I succeeded with both the dishes I made this weekend. Although it did take two rounds to get the rice right. Lemon juice in the water when steaming rice, makes the rice stickier than I would like.
Lemon Rice Salad
1 cup uncooked white rice
1 tsp lemon zest
3 cups fresh spinach, chopped
¼ cup green onions, chopped
¼ cup chopped walnuts
¼ cup craisins
½ tsp lemon zest
2 Tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
1 tsp sugar
½ tsp Dijon mustard
¼ tsp sea salt
4 Tbsp olive oil
Freshly ground black pepper
- Using rice cooker, stove top or microwave steamer; cook rice according to directions, but add 1 tsp of lemon zest to water before steaming.
- While rice is cooking, whisk together dressing ingredients.
- Once rice is done, fluff with fork.
- Combine rice, spinach, onions, walnuts and dried cranberries. Toss with dressing.
- Serve at room temperature.
Gluten-Free Lemon Sugar Cookies
1 box gluten free yellow cake mix
Juice of 1 lemon
½ cup (1 stick) of butter or your favorite butter substitute, softened
1 egg or 1 Tbsp flax meal mixed with 3-4 Tbsp water (if using flax “egg,” let sit for 5-10 minutes to gel)
1 tsp vanilla
Yellow food coloring, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare two cookie sheets for cookies – I like to use parchment paper on my cookie sheets to prevent sticking.
- In a large bowl, combine egg, butter and vanilla with electric mix. If using food coloring, add it now.
- Add cake mix and lemon juice. Mix until forms a dough.
- Roll rounded spoonfuls of dough into balls and place onto cookie sheets.
- Bake 11-12 minutes in preheated oven.
- Let cool a couple minutes after removing from oven.
Yields about 2 dozen cookies.