Saturday, November 17, 2012

24 hours all to myself!

I somehow ended up with two entire nights and a day all to myself. Annyka is spending the weekend with my sister and Scott went to a computer show a few hours away for the weekend. Last night I "celebrated" by swimming a mile after work then making falafel for myself - I'm pretty sure I'm the only one in this house that likes falafel. Fine by me!

This morning I headed to a kickboxing class at the new YMCA downtown Indianapolis and hit the grocery store for my first Thanksgiving shopping trip. I'll have to go again later this week since I want to make sure I have fresh ingredients for my vegetable dishes.

Here's how my Thanksgiving contributions shake out:

#1  Tomorrow at my mom's sister's:
  • Spinach Salad
  • Chocolate Pie
#2 Thursday lunch at my dad's sister's:
  • Lemon-garlic green beans
  • Cranberry rice pilaf
  • Mashed butternut squash
#3 Thursday dinner at our house with Scott's sisters:
  • Vegetable - eek! Still haven't figured out what it will be
  •  Vegan Brownies and fruit salad
Today I made the chocolate pie and mixed up the dressing for the spinach salad.

Chocolate Pie
8 oz container vegan cream cheese alternative - Tofutti or Trader Joes are the two varieties I know of, but I'm sure there are others.
10 oz dark chocolate chips or chunks
2 Tbsp coffee liqueur
1 tsp vanilla
1 Tbsp honey
1 pie crust of your choice - I used a vegan, gluten-free prepared crust I got from Green BEAN Delivery.

Melt chocolate chips with liqueur using a double boiler or microwave, stir frequently with a rubber spatula. Using a hand mixer or food processor, mix melted chocolate with cream cheese, vanilla and honey. Beat until smooth and well blended. Taste mixture to make sure it is sweet enough for your liking. Add more honey if you prefer. Spread chocolate mixture into pie crust with spatula. Garnish with red raspberries or strawberries and/or chopped nuts. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours.

This will be very rich, but very yummy. If you wish to have a whipped topping with it, whipped coconut cream is wonderful. Oh She Glows describes that process well.

Since I'm taking such a decadent dessert, I'm also taking a much healthier salad as well.

Spinach Salad
  • Baby Spinach
  • Sliced baby bella mushrooms
  • Red onion, sliced
  • Craisins
  • Crispy bacon, crumbled
  • Walnuts, chopped
Orange-walnut dressing
4 Tbsp walnut oil - which I finally found at TJ Maxx after looking for it for since June!
 4 Tbsp orange juice
1 tsp dijon mustard
1/2 tsp minced garlice
dash salt




No comments:

Post a Comment