Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Chilly outside, Chili inside

Have I mentioned I love soup? It doesn’t have to be winter, but warm, brothy soup on a cold day is pretty nice. It’s snowing and windy out tonight, so some chicken soup was perfect. I’ve had chicken chili on the menu for awhile, but ran out of chicken (great planning, huh?). I finally bought some chicken breasts yesterday so I was able to make the soup I’ve been craving. 

This is a quick soup that uses some prepared items, but it could easily be made from scratch too if you want. I got four chicken breasts yesterday and I decided to go ahead and baked them last night to use for multiple meals – lunches and dinners.

Easy Chicken Chili
2 cooked chicken breasts, shredded
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 jar mild salsa verde (tomatillo salsa)
1 15 oz can white beans
1 can diced tomatoes
4 cups chicken broth
1 tbsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp dried oregano
Olive oil

Heat about a couple teaspoons of olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic and onion and stir until onions are transparent. Add cumin, coriander and oregano. Stir about another minute. 
Add remaining ingredients: cooked chicken, salsa, beans, tomatoes and broth. Bring to low boil. Lower heat to simmer. Simmer over low-medium heat for about 30 minutes to allow flavors to blend.

Serve with tortilla chips. You can garnish with shredded cheese, sour cream or avocado if desired. About 6 servings.



No comments:

Post a Comment