Friday, October 12, 2012

Fun with Jungle Jim's specialities

We tried out our Jungle Jim's goods this week in a variety of ways. Wednesday we had pasta with marinara sauce, chopped portobellos (from the Scratch & Dent section) the rest of the family tried out the various cheeses we bought.

Last night I made sweet bell peppers (also from the Scratch & Dents) stuffed with brown rice, ground beef and salsa.

Tonight we had black & white quinoa with tortilla encrusted tilapia topped with pineapple salsa. We had steamed broccoli on the side. It turned out delicious.

I took about two cups of crushed tortilla chips, about 1/3 cup of masa harina (corn flour), about a teaspoon each of black pepper, paprika, ground cumin, garlic powder and onion powder. I did not add any salt since there is salt in the chips. I pulsed all these ingredients in the food processor until they were pretty finely ground.

I took some frozen tilapia fillets and cut them in half to make them a little easier to handle and dipped them in some coconut milk before dredging them through the tortilla mixture. Then I placed them on a cookie sheet greased with coconut oil.

I baked the fish at 425 for about 20 minutes, then finished it for a few minutes under the broiler. I'm sure some cheese would have been good sprinkled on the top as well, but I didn't do that. I did top it with some pineapple salsa I bought at JJ's though. Lastly I made a mix of the regular and black quinoa and served the fish over that.

It was a good, satisfying dinner...and the kids even liked the fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment