Sunday, October 28, 2012

Leftovers for Lunch

Thursday night I put a turkey breast in the crockpot with some lemon slices. Friday night we had it for dinner - sliced up with cranberry sauce, roasted potatoes and steamed zucchini with mushrooms on the side. But we still had turkey remaining.

Some of that turkey went into turkey salad - some veganaise, diced onions, mustard, craisins and walnuts - to eat with crackers. Yesterday was Make a Difference Day and along with Gannett employees across the nation, I did my part. We were cleaning up a park and lunch was served, but without knowing WHAT would be served, I had to come prepared with my turkey salad, crunchmaster crackers and an apple. They had hot dogs and potato chips, but I was glad for the food I brought as well.

After the turkey salad, we still had about 2 thick slices of turkey left. So for lunch today we had turkey tacos.

Leftover Turkey Tacos
Cooked turkey breast, diced - I had about a 1 or 1 1/2 cups
1 small zucchini, diced
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
1/2 small onion, diced
1/4 cup salsa
1/4 cup whole kernel corn
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
1 tsp olive oil
1 cup refried beans
corn tortillas
shredded cheese (optional)
guacamole, salsa,  sour cream for garnish

Warm olive oil over medium-high heat in large skillet. Add bell pepper, onion and zucchini. Saute for about 3-5 minutes. Add turkey, corn and salsa. Cook another 3 or so minutes until everything is warm. Add cilantro and mix well. Turn heat down to low until you are ready to serve.

Warm refried beans. Warm tortillas in oven or in microwave. Layer beans, turkey & vegetable mixture and other toppings in the tortillas. Eat.

I also made some baked brown rice this morning. I made it with onions, fines herbs and mushrooms. I think I'm going to use the baked brown rice recipe to come up with a rice pilaf that will go well with the Thanksgiving meal. Since I will be missing out on stuffing this year, I would like to have an alternative.


No comments:

Post a Comment