Monday, April 23, 2012

Brainstorm - Corn

I'm feeling corny lately - Scott picked up several ears this weekend at Kroger and the creamed corn also caught my eye. Maybe due to a friend mentioning corn casserole last week. Who knows.

Regardless of why, corn chowder sounds good right now and its kind of coolish outside today so a soup would make a good dinner. It'll be another busy night. I want to go by Matthews Bicycles before going home. I'm scoping out road bikes to start training on and cycling is kind of a whole new world for me. I love my Schwinn mountain bike, but I need a road bike for the triathlon (did I mention I officially signed up!?) and whatever comes next.

Back on topic - corn chowder. So I have two cans of creamed corn and some regular corn too. So my plan involves carmelized diced onions and bell pepper, creamed corn, whole kernel corn, green chilis, cilantro, maybe some tomatoes and little bacon for flavor. It sounds good to me. I'll let you know how it turns out.

*******
UPDATE: Firstly, I think I found my bike!! I hope to buy this weekend. Secondly, the corn chowder turned out yummy. Here's what went into it:

CORN CHOWDER
1/2 onion, diced
1/2 sweet bell pepper, diced
4 oz can diced green chiles
4 slices bacon (I used the kind that is already cooked)
2 tomatoes, diced
1 15 oz can whole corn corn, drained
1 15 oz can creamed corn
1/2 cup lite coconut milk
mesquite seasoning
salt & pepper to taste

Caramelize onion and bell pepper in a pot. Add bacon, green chiles and tomatoes. Add corn (both cans), coconut milk and seasonings. Stir and let simmer for about 10 minutes. Makes about 4 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment