Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Who knew I could make such a dang good curry sauce?


I had a butternut squash just hanging around the house not doing anything, so I peeled it (which by the way, royally sucks – I’m a little surprised I still have nine fingers….just kidding, I do have 10) and cubed and steamed it. I threw some diced onion in there in the steamer as well. 

Then – and here’s what it gets really fun – I pulled out the Cuisinart I got for Christmas from the boyfriend (Thanks boyfriend!) and I pureed the squashiness and onions. Then I added some cilantro and some hot Madras curry powder, garlic powder (I wanted fresh minced garlic, but it was not in good way) and about half of a 15 oz can of lite coconut milk (so let’s say a cup). I used Trader Joe’s brand, but any old coconut milk would work. Heck, even dairy milk or other substitute would work. 

Then I whirled it around a bit more. That’s it. Curry sauce. And it’s so yummy. Of course it looks like something you would either feed a baby or clean off his behind, but it tastes great. I had some for lunch on a plain baked potato. I made some lentils and brown rice a couple days ago, so I think I will have that with some of this lovely curry squash for dinner. I doubt I’ll convince the kids to have any, so they’ll get to have some vegetarian chili spaghetti. Maybe I’ll mash up some lentils and mix it into their chili for good measure. Wouldn’t want them missing out on any of the lentil super-foodness. (Totally a word). 

Last night I had some of that aforementioned chili (no spag for me) with corn tostada shells before I headed to a triathlon clinic. I’m pumped about doing a tri now. I’m planning my first in August, and I’m still a little nervous – I’d be crazy to not be – but I can totally do it. I could go out and do the run and swim portions now (distance-wise), so I need to work on the biking, transitions and open-water between now and then. But I can so do that! 

Maybe I should focus on getting through this next half marathon first though. I have 2.5 weeks until the race and I would like to get one more long run in. I did get 8 miles in last Friday, but with the thunderstorm during part of it, I felt a little off. I’m shooting for a long run on Sunday morning.

BUTTERNUT CURRY SAUCE
1 butternut squash, peeled & cubed
½ onion, diced
Cilantro (optional)
1 cup coconut milk
2 Tbsp curry powder
1 tsp garam masala
1 tsp garlic powder
Salt to taste

Steam the squash & onion until tender. Puree in a food processor. Add cilantro, spices and coconut milk. Pulse until well blended. Eat. Eat with other stuff. Like rice, or veggies, or potatoes, or lentils, etc. Or just drink it out of the food processor with a straw. Whatever. 

No comments:

Post a Comment