Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Trying not to be difficult

I have issues. Food issues, health issues, whatever. But they are MY issues. Not my friends issues, not my boss' issues, not the server's at a restaurant's issues. So I try to keep them that way. I try to make come up with my solutions to problems rather than expect someone else to fix everything for me.

That is sometimes a challenge when trying to eat gluten, egg and dairy-free. I'm sure vegetarians/vegans face similar issues. I run with Team in Training. The night before a race, we always have a big dinner ceremony, and because we athletes like to pretend that carb-loading 12 hours before a race is beneficial, its a pasta dinner. Obviously that presents challenges for someone not eating gluten.

I had planned to bring some rice for myself next Friday to our Inspiration Dinner and hope that I could have some of the side dishes. So I asked the LLS staff what was on the menu. Not demanding (or even asking) for any special meal/treatment, just a little help planning ahead.

They sent it on to the caterers and the chef will prepare a meal for me. I didn't expect that, but I definitely appreciate it. In fact, it just made my day!

On a completely unrelated note, we ate at Hard Rock Cafe last night for another TNT dinner and I had a salad (no cheese) and fries. I didn't need the fries, but they were good!

Tonight will be tacos. One of the easier meals to modify for my needs: I made my own seasoning blend (mainly garlic, cumin, smoked paprika, cayenne and salt), ground turkey, corn tortillas (crunchy or soft), lettuce, tomatoes, onions, avocado. I don't think we even have any cheese in our house anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment