Sunday, July 1, 2012

Homemade energy foods

As I mentioned a couple days ago, I need to find energy foods that I can take with me hiking/backpacking. Today, while I keep an eye on my pukey kid (who is watching Soul Surfer), I've been experimenting in the kitchen.

I roasted some chick peas in tamari and cilantro. They turned out okay but not as crunchy as I had hoped...but I, of course, didn't actually follow any recipe. I just winged it. I'll look up some tips online for next time.

I also just finished whipping up a batch of homemade cherry-nut bars. They were super easy - the hardest part is pitting the cherries and what I tasted of them was awesome. They are in the freezer now. I'll try to guess at the dimensions for y'all's sake, but I failed to measure what I was putting in.

Cherry-Nut Bars
8 oz dates, pitted
6 oz sweet cherries, pitted
1/3 cup almond meal
1/3 cup flax meal
1/4 cup pecans
1/4 cup walnuts
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Put dates and cherries in food processor and pulse until chopped finely. Add nuts, vanilla, almond meal and flax meal. Pulse a few more times.

Cover a cookie sheet with a sheet of wax paper. Spread fruit and nut mixture evenly over about 1/3 of the cookie sheet. Fold the rest of the wax paper over the mixture. Place in freezer for about 2 hours. Slice into bars and wrap each bar in plastic wrap. Store in fridge until ready to eat.

Makes about 8 bars.

No comments:

Post a Comment