Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Long day - quick dinner

I leave for vacation in less than three days. I think I have about a full week's worth of work to get done in that time, plus Annyka is starting school on Thursday and I'm still going to the chiropractor a couple times a week to make sure my back is healing. I worked about 9.5 hours today, went to buy the rest of the school supplies Annyka needs and picked up my prescriptions. I also got up early and worked out this morning.
So, the point is, the dinner I had planned did not happen, but I thought it would be a good day to try the rice salad I saw in the deli at Harris Teeter and wanted to try to recreate.

I emailed Harris Teeter and they sent me the ingredients - not a recipe, mind you, but an ingredient list - so I still had some work to do.

Here's what I came up with...

Wild Rice Salad

1 package of long grain & wild rice - prepared as indicated on package
1 small can of mandarin oranges, drained
1/4 cup scallions, sliced
1/4 cup walnut pieces
1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp walnut oil
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
orange zest
dash of soy sauce
salt & pepper

Stir garlic, oils, vinegar, orange zest and soy sauce until well mixed. Mix together rice, oranges, scallions, nuts, and mushrooms in a large bowl. Toss with dressing. Add salt & pepper to taste. Let sit for at least an hour before serving. Serve at room temperature or straight from the fridge.

Tomorrow I'm having the leftovers of this rice over spinach for lunch!

No comments:

Post a Comment