Monday, July 9, 2012

A short break, but I'm back

I took a little break last week. A holiday week and lots of eating leftovers and easy foods. My kiddo is back home again in Indiana (you have to sing that if you know the song) so we spent pretty much every day last week at the pool. She discovered how much fun goggles are yesterday. She has a nice steady kick and pretty strong stroke in the water - I'd love to get her swimming some in a club, but she isn't ready and I don't want to push her too hard. I want her to enjoy it.

I won't do a full run down of what we ate last week...mostly because I don't remember. But I do remember lunch at Squealers on Wednesday. I had a craving for BBQ and it was the first red meat I'd eaten since May. I got a huge baked potato stuffed with beef brisket and steamed broccoli on the side. The restaurant was excellent for what they claim to be - A BBQ meat joint. Good sauce, good smoked meat. However, the sides left something to be desired. The broccoli wasn't fresh and it was burnt which leads me to believe it had been "cooked" in the microwave rather than steamed. The fruit that was a side option was canned. I heard good reviews from the rest of the family on the onion rings and the steak fries Annyka left behind were good. So as long as you're not looking for fruits and veggies - I would recommend it!

Dinner on Independence Day was a medley of Mediterranean things from the Greek bar. Is it against the law to have ethnic food on a patriotic holiday? I excuse myself from traditional American for dinner because I had BBQ for lunch. We watched fireworks. We sat in traffic and got home late.

Yesterday was a tough food day. I spent a couple hours in the morning preparing food for Annyka's lunches this coming week - hamburgers (with a vegetable puree mixed in - bell pepper, spinach, carrot and onion), lasagna, macaroni and cheese, and carrot-zucchini muffins. Do you know how hard it is to properly season mac & cheese when you can't taste it!? And the lasagna smelled so good. I might have to breakdown and try some "veggie cheese" to make some lasagna.

At the risk of sharing too much information, even if I didn't already know, it was obvious what time of the month it was for me because I was craving food all day long - chips, ice cream, chocolate, lasagna, whatever. I held out on the ice cream, but I did have some chips. Dinner ended up being a Med-bowl: white beans, brown rice, roasted red bell pepper, mushrooms, sundried tomatoes. I brought the same for lunch today. I should have brought a salad too. Oh well.

I'm taking a bike maintenance class at REI tonight so I'll have to grab dinner - probably either Paradise Cafe for a salad or Qdoba.

No comments:

Post a Comment