Thursday, July 12, 2012

Mustard Mishap




Remember a couple weeks ago when we went to Cincinnati. One of our stops was at our favorite destination grocery store - Jungle Jim's. One of the items I wanted to get at JJs was some good mustard.

I've recently started making my own salad dressings and a good mustard can really make it - and I ran out of dijon. JJs has great ethnic food sections so I found a good French mustard made with champagne and a fairly straight-forward yellow German mustard. There was also stone ground French mustard that looked good. So we got all three of those. But I had forgotten that I had also thrown a bottle of French's dijon that was on sale just in case I didn't find any others. So we bought four mustards at Jungle Jim's.

Then on the following Tuesday we got our Green BEAN Delivery - I had forgotten that I had added a jar of local mustard to that order as well! So in a three-day period I got five new bottles of mustard. Thankfully, mustard doesn't go bad quickly. We'll be having it with everything.

I've used the Local Foods mustard mixed into ground beef for hamburgers and in barbeque beans. Last night I made pork chops in a white wine-mustard marinade and homemade sweet mustard dressing.

White Wine-Mustard Marinade
 2 Tbsp mustard - whatever kind you want - I used the yellow in the barrel shaped jar in the photo above.
1/4 cup white wine
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1 Tbsp chopped parsley
1 tsp pepper
dash of salt

Stir together and pour over pork or chicken. Allow meat to marinate for at least 30 minutes. Makes enough for 4 pork chops or chicken breasts.

Sweet Mustard Dressing
2 Tbsp mustard
1/4 cup olive oil
2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 Tbsp lemon juice
2 Tbsp agave nectar or honey
1 clove garlic, minced
1 Tbsp chopped dill

Stir all ingredients together. Best if allowed to sit at least a couple hours before serving. Toss with mixed greens. Store in refrigerator. 8-12 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment