Sunday, September 2, 2012

Plans for the coming week

I don't expect this week to be as busy as the previous few, but honestly the busyness always seems to sneak up on me. I do expect a pretty busy week at work, but hopefully that won't translate into a crazy week at home. One way or the other though, menu planning is a necessity in my life - to save time, money and my health and sanity.

I did go to the grocery store and spend $85 on some of our staples this weekend - shelf-stable almond milk was on sale, so I got 8 of those and canned beans and tomatoes were on sale as well so I got plenty of those. Portobello mushrooms were also on special. Our menu this week is built around the items we already had or these staples I just purchased.

Tomorrow will be mushroom & zucchini fajitas, unless we end up being on the road picking up Annyka at dinnertime. Here's the rest of the week - and I'll include recipes throughout the week when I get the chance.

Monday - mushroom & zucchini fajitas, I took the crockpot "refried" beans out of the freezer today.
Tuesday - Green curry chicken with rice
Wednesday - Tomato & corn millet salad
Thursday - Tamari tilapia with ginger fried rice
Friday  - Lentil pilaf with smoked sausage
Saturday - Three-bean chili
Sunday - Pozole (if necessary, we may have leftovers on Sunday)

Crockpot "Refried" Beans

2 cups Pinto beans
2 cups vegetable or chicken stock
water to cover
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp cumin
1 Tbsp chipotle pepper powder
1 tsp salt

Put all ingredients in crockpot and cook on low for 6-8 hours. Once beans are tender, drain off excess liquid and reserve. Use an immersion blender, food processor or hand masher to mash beans. Add reserved liquid to get desired consistency. Serve immediately, or freeze for later use.

No comments:

Post a Comment