Monday, September 17, 2012

What is crockpot soup?

The answer is "a great way to fix a filling meal with no added fat and minimal prep time."

I've gotten a little pickier about the meals I put in the crockpot because sometimes, especially, if you overcook the food it can all start to taste the same, but if you do it right, the crockpot is a great kitchen tool.

 Today I chose a pork Mexican-style stew called Pozole. I suggest you don't read too much about the history of the stew if cannibalism doesn't appeal to you! It turned out a little spicier than I would have preferred, but it was really good and Annyka even had more than one bowl.

Pozole

1-1.5 lbs pork - I'm using pork chops (which were partially frozen when I put them in)
1 cup salsa verde
1 4oz can diced green chiles
2 cups chicken stock
1 15oz can fire-roasted diced tomatoes (with juice)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 small onion, diced
3 cups whole kernel corn (I used frozen, but canned and drained corn would work as well)
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp mexican oregano
salt & pepper to taste


Put all ingredients in the crockpot. Cook on low for about 8 hours. Shred pork before serving. Add a dollop of sour cream to cool down the heat if you need to. Serves 6-8.

No comments:

Post a Comment