Thursday, May 10, 2012

Sundried Tomatoes & Mushrooms

I have found a new favorite pasta sauce...except I don't have it with pasta...Everyone else in the house does, but I have mine with rice. Yeah, I have rice pasta too, but rice is just easier and a lot cheaper!

Sun-dried Tomatoes & Mushroom Sauce
1 large can crushed tomatoes
1 container of sun-dried tomatoes (I can't remember how big it is, but it's probably about 3 oz - NOT the ones in oil)
4 oz sliced mushrooms
1/2 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup red wine
sea salt
basil
black pepper
Olive oil

Saute the onion and garlic in a little bit of olive oil, a tsp or two should do it. Add mushrooms and just barely brown them - you don't want them too soft. Pour in crushed tomatoes. Add sun-dried tomatoes and wine. Add a dash of sea salt, a little basil and black pepper. Let simmer, covered for at least 30 minutes. If it seems too thick, add a little vegetable or beef broth.


Eat it. It's good. The sun-dried tomatoes make it a little sweeter and tangier than regular tomato sauce. You can add meat to it if you'd like, but that's why I put mushrooms in it - mushrooms are a "meaty" plant.You can also add other veggies to it - zucchini, carrots and bell peppers would all be good.

This week we also have had meatloaf, obviously homemade. I gluten-free bread crumbs - I believe they are corn-based, pureed bell pepper and onion, tomato sauce and molasses. It was super good with a medley of steamed veggies.

Tonight will probably be tuna lettuce wraps. I've been wanting them again since I made them last week!

No comments:

Post a Comment