Thursday, June 21, 2012

22 miles on the bike

I logged over 20 miles on my new bike today. I rode it to work today - the first time I've done the bike commute from this home. I used to ride regularly when I lived near the Monon Trail. I'd pull Annyka in the trailer to the daycare before heading across the street to work, but that was only 6 miles each way. The ride from this house is a little more challenging - more traffic and it's almost twice the distance. But I made it. I had also planned to swim on the way home at the YMCA, but the wind was picking up and I saw rain west of my location, so I decided getting home would be better.

Anyway, I was pretty hungry by the time it was dinnertime - I had a mango salad from Qdoba for lunch. So tonight was stir-fry night. I used a Cooking Light recipe for Honey Cashew Chicken...but it wouldn't be me if I didn't change the recipe up at least a little.

So I'll start with the recipe and tell you about my minor changes as we go.  The recipe called for 18 oz of chicken breast cubes and 1/2 a cup of cashews, but since I'm currently vegan, I doubled the cashews and I used brown rice rather than instant. I also added a few extra veggies that I needed to use.

Honey Cashew Stirfry

1 cup rice

1 Tbsp canola oil
1 Tbsp sesame oil
broccoli florets - I used one stalk
1 cup edamame - I didn't use quite that much because I also had some snap peas to use
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 medium yellow onion, diced
1 red bell pepper, sliced
1 cup roasted, unsalted cashews
1 Tbsp rice vinegar
3 Tbsp honey
2 Tbsp sodium sauce  - I used Bragg's Aminos instead
1 Tbsp sriracha sauce

Cook rice.
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oils. Once warm, add vegetables - I also added carrots to mine. Cook about 5 minutes or until vegetables are crisp tender. Stir in cashews.
Combine vinegar, honey, soy sauce and sriracha in small bowl.
Toss sauce with vegetables and cashews.
Serve over rice.
Serves 2-3.

No comments:

Post a Comment