Thursday, June 14, 2012

Beans, beans, good for the heart...


Tonight, I don’t know what’s for dinner, but I’ll be happy if I decide to have last night’s leftovers. But a veggie & hummus wrap also sounds good.

I made a Latin bean and corn salad – another recipe from Cooking Light. I had mine over quinoa. The boys had hot dogs with theirs. I’m the only one who loved it.
Here goes:

Three Bean Salad
3 cans of beans, drained and rinsed. Choose a variety of the following: black, red, pinto, kidney, garbanzo, etc. I chose black, red and pinto.
3 ears of corn, shucked
5 campari tomatoes, cut into eighths
1 red onion, cut into quarters
1 jalapeno
1 red bell pepper
1/3 cup chopped cilantro
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp Mrs. Dash Fiesta Lime Seasoning
½ tsp salt

Heat grill to med-high.
Place tomatoes in large and sprinkle with salt. Set aside for 10 minutes.
Brush corn, peppers and onion with olive oil.
Place remaining vegetables on grill rack. Grill for 8-10 minutes, turning corn and peppers once.
Add rinsed beans, cilantro and Mrs. Dash to tomatoes and gently stir together.
Remove vegetables from grill and let cool for a few minutes.
Remove corn from cob.
Coarsely chop onion.
Remove seeds from peppers. Finely chop peppers.
Combine vegetables with beans & tomatoes.
Serve alone over rice or quinoa, or as a side. As a side dish, serves 12.

No comments:

Post a Comment