Monday, June 18, 2012

I'm spent

I went to Crossfit after work. I enjoy the workouts because a) they are hard. Yeah, yeah, I know that's a crazy thing to say, but sometimes when I work out on my own, I don't push myself as hard as I should. Crossfit ensures that I do. b) they pretty much fly by. Once we get started, I lose track of time pretty quickly. That's always nice. c) I appreciate someone else making sure I'm getting my form correct.

Anyway, once I got home I didn't feel like doing anything too strenuous so I grilled the two portobellos I got from Green BEAN Delivery last week and made some pasta and sauce to go with it. It turned out super yummy, so I'm going to, of course, post the recipes here.




Marinated Portobello mushrooms with grilled tomato sauce

4 large Portobello mushrooms

Marinade:
1/3 cup white wine
1/3 cup olive oil
1 Tbsp lemon juice
½ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
¼ tsp salt
½ tsp black pepper
2 cloves garlic
1 tsp Dijon mustard

Pasta Sauce:
16 oz campari tomatoes
1 red bell pepper
1 sweet onion, cut in half
1 15 oz can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
1 6oz can tomato paste
8 oz spaghetti or other pasta of choice

Clean four Portobello mushrooms. Place in a casserole dish, gills up.
In a small bowl whisk together wine, olive oil, lemon juice, red pepper flakes, salt, black pepper, garlic and mustard. Pour marinade over mushrooms. Let mushrooms marinate for 10 minutes at room temperature.
Heat grill to medium heat.
Place mushrooms, tomatoes, bell pepper and onion on the grill. Do not discard marinade. Remove the tomatoes after about 5-7 minutes. Leave other vegetables on the grill for about 10-15 minutes.
While vegetables are grilling, bring pot of water to boil and prepare pasta as instructed on pasta container.
Remove remaining vegetables and allow to cool slightly.
Chop tomatoes, onions and bell pepper. In a medium saucepan, combine remaining marinade, chopped tomatoes, bell peppers, onions and artichoke hearts. Stir in tomato paste. Let simmer for a few minutes.
Once pasta is al dente, drain and stir in pasta sauce. Divide pasta into 4 servings and place on plate. Top each mound of pasta with a mushroom. Top with cheese if desired.
Serves 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment