Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Careless label checking

I can't count all my food sensitivities on one hand...or two for that matter. I've gotten fairly good at reading food labels and ingredients, but sometimes I still fail.

A lot of times I get all excited because it's labeled as dairy-free, or gluten-free or vegan and forget to check the rest. I got some falafel mix from Green BEAN Delivery. It's vegan, but it didn't occur to me to check to see if it was seasoned with soy sauce! (For those uninitiated into gluten-free club, the second ingredient in soy sauce is usually wheat.)

Although I did realize it before I baked my dinner, I didn't realize it in enough time to make other arrangements, so I decided to see what happened, thinking it was probably a small amount. Gas is what happened.

I made falafel stuffed eggplant with a vegetable relish and tahini sauce. Super yummy and I love falafel, so I'm going to have to look for a gluten-free falafel recipe. Shouldn't be too hard. But all morning I've had rumbly stomach - and not from hunger. Although this is a feeling that used to be my norm, it is not my new norm. So now I know what happens when I have a little bit of wheat. Not fun.

But falafel stuffed eggplant - fun!

To save time, I'll just post the Cooking Light recipe that was the starting point for my dinner last night - I used trader joe's tahini sauce and the Fantastic World falafel mix (which again, to reiterate, is NOT gluten-free). But I could totally make this from scratch if I chose to.


http://www.cookinglight.com/food/vegetarian/vegetarian-summer-recipes-00412000075820/page3.html


No comments:

Post a Comment